Saturday 7 January 2012

Soboite and Senthil.....

Hi Venky,


Here's my ramble for the weekend...


I went to Palladium last night...had some good laughs with friends.That was like awesome...one more place that we ought to go to...but that's not what this is all about!


I saw some 18 - 21 year old college kids there.Influential families, lots of money...Smooching, making out...drunk...doped...ask me what not.It's not like I care...but it made me remember some beautiful people, I met last year...


One of them was Senthil.


20 years.He's like 6th standard pass.But could not study further because of economic instability.


He works in a printing unit....prints and fixes flex boards of movies, commercial advertisements...all his money actually goes in taking care of his mom and sister...straight out of a movie yeah...I wish so too.... but its unfortunately real.


He's in love....with a cousin...gosh, has even tattooed her name on his chest... he's that kinds you know.. "one and only, forever" types...yeah that's him!


But he thinks its not going to work out.He hasn't even asked her...?! She's a little more well off it seems..her dad has a garage.


Then I asked him , " why don't you move on, if its not going to work out? "


What he said moved me, " I had two choices...wait for her...or sleep with dhanam for 100 rupees a night..she's a local prostitute...I thought what's the point in being in a loveless relationship....I made my choice , I will wait for her.What's life, if you can't hope for some love"...and he smiled...all of his slender frame... wise and serene :)


At that point in time, I felt respect for that kid..was it his dignity, his clarity of thought....I don't know what?


But such a contrast...in one part of the country.. you have kids who live for the moment and hardly think about anyone but themselves...


And there are Senthils...who may not be even educated, forget rich....but has a lot more dignity than those soboite kids in mumbai, they have self respect that commands the same from others....


Venky, seriously I want our kids to have such dignity in choice..I do not want to influence or teach them to be dignified, forthright, conscientious ....I just want them to be able to make those choices....and be responsible for their choices and decisions...if I am able to bring that quality in them..then I think we are kick ass parents...aren't we?! :)


Now you will tell me... "woman you growing old..stop analyzing people so much" !


bauahah...I just know you..Venky...until then....


Love you loads....!


Shruti :)



3 comments:

  1. Hi Shruti!
    I love this post.. Shows how the rural, uneducated people value love more than us. And in fact, it's true in a lot of ways. If you have good ideals you live by, you will command respect.

    Thank you so much for following my blog! :)
    Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome Shruti! :)

    ReplyDelete